Saturday 28 February 2009

Rio, Moonraker and me

Being in Rio de Janeiro the week before carnival, and coming from a very winter part of the northern emisphere I have been kind of lazy in getting deep inside the urban structure...

i decided more to stay on the surface of the touristic cliche... it helped a lot the fact that Iolanda, my friend hosting me lives in Leblon, 200 metres from the beach.
Nevertheless even if i did not make huge efforts to grasp the city and its contraddictions they came naturally to me...

...from the 27th floor of the skyscraper where i was living i could see clearly all the beach of ipanema and leblon as well as the Favela which is just juxtaposed to the beach on the southern corner.


On the other hand I have been recalling cinematic scenes that the city can offer (I think that from this point of view only New York stands similarly in the imaginary of people - for different reasons though). At the top of this cinematic imaginary, in my case, there is the chase of James Bond on the cable car going to the top of the Sugar Loaf. So that was the first place I have been visiting (after the beach of course) having the James Bond theme plugged in my ipod, taking those pictures posted here.


No comments: